Monday, January 17, 2011

Maya...or something just like her.

This is my dream horse. Upon first glance, you may not recognize all the amazing qualities that make her perfect and unique. First, her coloring is exactly what I have always wanted; very light buckskin, very dark tail & mane AND cannons, stout chest, slender belly, large face. She's the one!
There are two problems with Maya. #1 - she lives in California & I live in Texas. It is usually very hard on a horse to travel such a long distance and she would have a hard time acclimating to our extreme heat and humidity. #2 - she is a wild Mustang purchased from the Bureau of Land Management and trained for two years. 90% of the time, she is a perfect horse. 10% of the time, the wild side comes out and she bucks people off...including her very experienced trainer. You never know when the wild side will come calling so Aaron has nixed the possibility of getting this perfect horse.
The search continues. I could have a hundred horses. They are for sale for very good prices everywhere I look. But I want the perfect horse for me. Not just some horse. If I am going to take the time to work it, clean it, tend to it, feed it, ride it and it's the only horse I am likely to ever have, I want it to be exactly what I want.
We are going to the BLM Mustang sale this weekend at Will Rogers and maybe there will be a relative of Maya's there for me to purchase who is under 2 years old and still trainable. Fingers crossed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment