Thursday, November 11, 2010

Happy Veteran's Day!


You see that boy right there next to me? His name is Richie. Or, Clint, which he likes to be called since he became an adult. Even though he's only slightly younger than I am, he'll forever be my lil Richie. He is my oldest nephew; my oldest brother's oldest child. As of two weeks ago, Richie is in Afghanistan and he won't be home until sometime next summer. He's been over there before, too. He wears desert camo, he carries a gun and knows how to fix all kinds of stuff like tanks, hummers & water wells. He is married to a very sweet girl named Amanda and they have two little boys, Eric & Wyatt. The three of them are patiently awaiting his return all alone in Michigan, where I think it is just too cold for humans to live so they must be robots or something. All their family on both sides live pretty far away.
Richie has a great laugh and he is one of the best I have ever seen at starting a campfire. He is adventurous and hard working. He is so fun to play basketball with. He tells incredible stories. He will never leave you hanging and is almost always one of the first ready to help without even being asked. He taught me cool stunts on our bikes when we were kids. He was a cherry picking fool! He taught me how to play Texas Hold 'em. The things he has done and the stories he has told have made me laugh so hard.
One time he drove all the way down to Austin just to see me when I lived there without any family around. One of my fondest memories of him was the first time I saw him after he'd been married and they had a toddling baby. Richie was on all fours with little Eric on his back, playing and making Eric giggle. Then later he changed Eric's diaper. I never thought I'd see that tough guy be so gentle with a child. I remember just staring in amazement at how my little nephew had become a man. A daddy. It brings tears to my eyes. He is a gifted writer and wrote a beautiful tribute to my grandmother when she passed. He is thoughtful, loving and quiet.
We are counting the days until Richie comes home. We are grateful for his sacrifices and for the sacrifices of so many others. We are grateful for our freedoms.
Godspeed, Richie.

No comments:

Post a Comment