Tuesday, September 21, 2010

ponies and horse power


Here on Ferrell Farm, we have race cars and all sorts of make-a-racecar-go-faster paraphernalia mixed among our animals. Our pony, cleverly named Ninja Pony, has taken a shine to hanging out in the shop while Farmer Ferrell works his magic. I don't know if he likes the way his hooves sound on the smooth concrete, if he prefers the stagnate air in the shade of the shop over the breezy shade under a tree, or he simply wants to chill with the dudes. Whatever it is, if the guys are in the shop, operating any variety of loud power tools or shooting sparks all over the place with a blow torch or a welder, Ninja Pony will be at the door of the shop watching all the while.
Ninja Pony likes to go fast. He is often spotted running figure eights or random circles around the back yard. Periodically he will buck and kick mid run. He has done this since he came to Ferrell Farm. I think he fits right in with the race cars. Maybe while he's lingering in the shop, he is dreaming of ways that he too can go faster.
This has nothing to do with race cars but Ninja Pony also likes to "give kisses," which consists of raising his nose up so I can kiss the top of his upper lip where it is soft. He also loves it when I share my sweet tea with him, and by share, I mean give him the rest. He is a slobbering fool over sweet tea. When I go out with my trusty snake finding flashlight to put him in his corral at night, Ninja Pony will gently move along as long as I sing to him. If I fail to softly sing something pleasant, he will take off running away from the corral and make me chase him. I hate that because it is very difficult to spot snakes in the dark with a flashlight while running before you are actually on top of them. So I always sing.
Leaving Ninja Pony out of his corral all night is not an option. Unattended, he will kick, stomp, & head-butt his way into the feeding cans and eat-probably until he dies-all of the sweet feed, chicken corn and rabbit feed he can get his short head at. Then he will kick at the rabbit cage to try to get at the rabbit feed in there. No, no! Every night, Ninja Pony goes up.
That is all about Ninja for now. I have lots of stories, pictures and some video about his antics. I will have to post them here and there as we go along. Happy Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment