Friday, July 8, 2011

Summer!



I have always loved Summer. Even though Fall brings a welcome reprieve from the heat and I love its colors, Summer still beats it to me. While Spring is such a refreshing change from the bitter cold and grey, Summer wins hands down. I don't mind the heat. I love the way it soaks into my bones. After several days of 100+ degrees, the puffy clouds sure are nice. They do compliment the blue sky and what is left of the green grasses. (Most have turned a shade of green-yellow from the heat or been harvested already.) There is a field near our house, several adjacent fields actually, that are covered in sunflowers from Spring until late Fall some years. They showed up the year my father-in-law, Willis, passed away. Sunflowers always remind me of him. He has been gone four years now. Two years ago we purchased some land a county away. We have had fun working out there and most weekends, we take the horses with us and let them run, play and eat the plentiful grass. Early this year a plant popped up in the low sandy part of the property where we work the horses. Aaron decided to leave it to see what sprang up. It was a lonely, perfect sunflower. Just one big plant. It was like Willis was smiling on us when it finally bloomed. Summer is so sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment